Tuesday, January 31, 2017

OOMPH! OOPS! Praise the Process!

Hello Everyone!!
Well, it's been quite a week already and it's only Tuesday.  I want to start off by sending a "shout-out" to some sweet first grade teachers in Conroe, Texas.  The lovely girls at Houser Elementary sent little me a beautiful, joyfilled  flower arrangement!  I have never met this team, but they simply wanted to show appreciation for my work. This was an amazing way to start off the week!!!  I don't know how they did it, but I am so incredibly humbled by this sweet gesture!  Thank you, girls!!!

I also wanted to share what we've been up to so far this week.  As a teacher, I am constantly looking for ways to encourage my kids to do their best.  If you are a teacher, you know that sometimes in January and February, we notice some kids losing their focus and even their confidence.  With all the "Growth Mindset" information out there, please know that there are things you can do differently.  I have made it a mission to change how I praise kids.  Research shows that students who hear, “You are such a hard worker!” or “You are really using your strategies!” rather than, “You are so smart!” or “You’re awesome!” often opt to challenge themselves on future work. We can help kids understand this by consistently and intently responding to their work habits with affirmations of believing in their ability to give it everything they’ve got and learning from their mistakes.  Rather than praising the right answers, I am going to strive to praise the process.  It will pay off!!  
So this week I have taken some time out from the regs, to include some "growth" activities. These 2 books are amazing! 

In these books, Barney Saltzberg shows in a very creative way, that when you work with "OOMPH!" you can make anything beautiful!! And when you make a mistake, make it into something beautiful!
The kids loved learning through these books! 
I have made it my goal to embrace the OOMPHs and the OOPS' in my students!
We created a little foldable book to go along with the OOMPH book!






I also had a basketful of affirmation bracelets to let the kids know that I will be taking notice of HOW they worked, not just the answers they got.









I am very excited to follow this new and improved way of praising my kids, and I know they have already embraced it!!
The little unit I prepared includes some little posters to hang, the foldable idea, and the bracelets printable. Here are a few samples.





I am so looking forward to the rest of this week... empowering kids to put their hearts into everything they do!!
 I hope you are too!
As always, thanks for stopping by our little "Window on Wonder" for a peek!  
Joyfully!
Nancy



      

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!