Monday, November 26, 2012

Take 1!

Hello Everyone,
First of all, I wanted to say how much I appreciate all the sweet messages, comments and e-mails about my last post.  Our family is still heartbroken with the loss of our sweet pooch, but your love has lifted us and helped so much. Thank you. 

Today at school, we began a week long  "learning through literature" celebration using Laura Numeroff's "If You take a Mouse to the Movies." I have already shared this unit with you, but I wanted to share what we did today to help understand visualization.  Being able to visualize or create a mental picture during reading can be a powerful way for students to gain comprehension.We talked about how you can be the "producer" of any "movie" you read.  As I was reading the story today, I refrained from showing the pictures.  The kids closed their eyes to try to get a picture, and then drew what they saw in their mind's camera. 
A little later, the kids had the opportunity to take some kids sized clapboards and tell parts of the story in small groups. I could see the kids visualizing the parts first before they verbalized!  Great job, Kiddos!!
I only had time to snap a couple of pics myself, as the kids were "filming." 

Kids recording sheet for visualization lesson- included in unit.






   If you missed the unit , here it is again! Click here!


47 pages of literacy, math and science fun!


Have fun visualizing a great day! :)
Joyfully!
Nancy

3 comments:

  1. What a cute post on visualization. Sorry to hear about your pooch. They're part of your family. It's like losing a brother or sister.
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  2. My regards to your pooch and your family! Also, your creativity is noteworthy. SMILES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the visualization activity!! I've been meaning to incorporate the strategy more into my literacy activities but needed that bit of inspiration and direction that you provided. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!