Thursday, May 17, 2012

Secret Mud Pie Recipe! YUM!

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for stopping by to take a peek!!  We are finishing our study of soil and working on the important comprehension skill called Synthesis.  Synthesis for our young readers and writers is understanding that we come to books with our own schema.  Through new reading, our thinking gets bigger and bigger, just like the ripples in water when you toss in a rock.  We have been talking a lot about the big S word and I decided the kids needed a visual, so another anchor chart came to be!  Showing the kids that our thinking changes and gets bigger with each new page of a book using the visual (I wish I would have shown them some actual ripples) really helped.  We then talked about how your schema plus new reading equals new thinking!
I then modeled for the kids how my thinking changed as we read "The Best Mud Pie." My stopping to explain how my synthesis was changing throughout the book also lit some lightbulbs in some kids! I finally finished the book and gave my final synthesis of the story.  My thinking had grown and changed! Talk Talk Talk Model Model Model--That's what it's about!

Well, then we needed to create a way to respond to our reading, and show our own synthesis.  The kids had the opportunity to make a mud pie! (Not real mud, of course!) They had fun writing their own secret recipes and creating a paper pie in a real pie pan!  We also had to pull out our "Smart Cookie Bakery" aprons one more time!!
Pie anyone??? :)











Stop by again sometime!!!  We love visitors!
Joyfully!
Nancy

1 comment:

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!